Monday, February 22, 2010

To Disobey or to Obey, That is the Question

When I first got to college, I began to notice how different people around me interacted with their parents. The words they would use, their tone, the way they would respond, etc. It was all quite different from how I interacted with my parents and sometimes I found my jaw dropping at the things I would hear. I'll never forget listening to a girl sitting in the hallway outside of my dorm cursing at her mother telling her to shut up. I shook my head in disgust not only at the girl's reaction but also at the fact that her mother tolerated that attitude. I also realized that a lot of people are not close with their parents, which omits the idea that their parents influence their daily decisions. That being said, my relationship with my parents is like none that I've seen before. I talk to my mother more times in one day than I can count on one hand and the thought of making my parents proud crosses my mind during every life-changing decision that I make. I also share my life with my parents because I feel as though, as their child, I am forever a part of their unconditional love and vice versa; therefore, there is not a lot that I can't share with them. Some people drop their jaws at how open I am with my parents but I thoroughly enjoy talking to them to gain their insight and their opinions that are more than often correct. When I tell my parents something and they give me their advice, whether they say do it or don't do it, I usually listen because, as the saying goes, "mother knows best." A lot of my peers cannot say the same as I find them often lying to their parents or just not listening at all. I won't say that I am the perfect child who heeds every word my parents say but when it comes to serious matters, prayer and the opinion of my parents are the only answers I need.

Now my question to you is, do you all find that you often obey or often disobey your parents? Feel free to answer anonymously.

1 comment:

  1. Veronica from The V SpotFebruary 23, 2010 at 9:24 AM

    I agree that young men and women should listen to their parents at all times and show them the respect they deserve. Your parents are the ones that brought you into this world and did for you when you could not do for yourself.

    By listening to your parents you are most likely saving yourself a lot of heartache and grief. Always remember, they've already been where you are trying to get to, came back and been there again while you are just now starting on your journey.

    How can someone just a few years out of high school know more about life than someone that's lived 50 years or more?

    To quote Maya Angelou... “You did then what you knew how to do, And when you knew better, You did better.”

    Food for thought.

    ReplyDelete